Friday, July 27, 2007

Helsinki, Finland

This is the center square in Helsinki. This was a famous church, now it is a church open to the public. It was a great place to drop us off to view the city. Helsinki was a neat town. If anyone has every been here, please let me know what you think of it. We went to the square, you can also see the picture below with Ryan. That picture was taken with the church to my back. But after visiting the square, Rock church, and the open market, what else is there to do in Helsinki? So let me know if you have been. I feel that is one place I cross off that I have visited, and I don't need to go back. Don't get me wrong, the city and people were great, just not a lot to do there.
Sometimes you must find humor in pictures.
Some of the food that was prepared and served the in open market down by the water front. Ryan one of the little fish in the middle. It reminded me of sardines, but Ryan said it was wonderful. He was even mad at me that I did get a "freebie" for him to eat it. I personally didn't want the smell on my hands! The open market had produce, flowers, places to eat, things to buy, etc. It was really neat. I always like going to the open markets because it says a lot about the town. One of the most popular meats in Finland was reindeer. The meat was super red in color, and "no" neither of us tried it. I am sure Ryan would have if the opportunity came.
This is the Rock Church. My inside picture didn't post. (I will try and post it separate.) It doesn't even look like a church on the outstide. It is amazing. The inside is all rock too, very natural. When we are visiting, an organist was getting ready for a wedding, so we had the nice classical music playing in the background.

Ryan and I did get dropped off in town to take the shuttle back later to the boat. We walked back down to the market and caught a band getting ready to perform. The musical band was pretty cool, their clothes were quite funny - a cross between jazz and punk! This was also a great place to people watch!


No comments: